This is the 2nd activity in the Jumpstart Sequence. In this activity students will create their accounts on the CareerVillage.org platform and will post their first career question. This activity lays the groundwork for future activities which will require students to have an account and be able to ask career questions. Students should be able to complete this activity almost 100% self-guided. It could be done in class, or assigned as independent work. This activity should take you 20-30 minutes to set up and should take students 25 minutes to complete.
Students should be able to:
- Create an account on CareerVillage.org
- Ask their first question on CareerVillage.org
- Internet-connected computer
- The project page that was created in Activity 1
- Internet-connected computer
Watch this video...
...which demonstrates the steps below:
If you haven't already, sign up on CareerVillage.org as an Educator and then create a "class" to use with your students.
(If you already have an account on CareerVillage you can skip to step 3)
- Step 1: Sign up as an educator at careervillage.org/educator/signup/
- Step 2: During the signup process, you will be asked to create a class. There is no limit to the number of classes you may create (students will show up on your class rosters based on which class invite code you give them later on).
- IMPORTANT: After creating a class, do not begin adding students to the class. You will be inviting them to join the class later on in this lesson.
- PLEASE NOTE: You may customize your class code, but you can only do this before you have added students. If you'd like to customize, this is an ideal moment to do so. Refer here for instructions on how to customize your class code.
- Step 3: Go to your dashboard and copy down the invite code for your class.
- Step 4: Create a CareerVillage Assignment to ask 1 question.
Begin the activity
To assign the activity to your students, email them:
- Unique class URL or class code (If unsure where to find this, refer here for instructions)
- Instructions on how you'd like to receive their reflections
- Reflection prompt (ie: How has this activity changed you think about your career?)
- A reminder that they should keep track of their reflections so that they can read them later which will help them for their Project Status Reports and the "growth" portion of their Final Presentation.
- If you can locate your School Page, also include a direct link there so your students can join the community page.
- If you have any trouble finding the group let us know and we'll help you find it.
- Instructors should be aware of what career questions on CareerVillage.org look like, and that they will get answered by real working professionals in the days and weeks after they are first posted.
- Additional resources: The educator resource page is available here.
- Formative: Instructor should collect student reflections (by email or any other method)
If you have questions, feedback, or suggestion on this Lesson Plan, please contact us here.